Administrative Professionals Day is right around the corner. On Wednesday April 24 this year, we will recognize and celebrate over 4 million administrative professionals, office assistants, and other office professionals for their important contributions to the workplace.
In lieu of this important day, we are sharing its history and will help you come up with a few ideas to reward and recognize your administrative professionals.
History of Administrative Professionals Day
- 1952 – National Professional Secretaries Week and National Secretary’s Day were created to recognize the importance and value of secretaries to companies and businesses and to encourage more women to become secretaries.
- 1981 – The name was changed to Professional Secretaries Day/Week when the National Secretaries Association became Professional Secretaries International (PSI).
- 1998 – The PSI changed their name to the International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP).
- 2000 – The holiday designation was changed to Administrative Professionals Day/Week reflecting both changing job titles and the expansion of responsibilities of the administrative workforce.
With the nature of the profession constantly evolving, more men are stepping into the administrative role, around 5% of administrative professionals are male.
The Most Common Ways to Recognize Your Admins
There are many ways to appreciate your admins and the importance they have at your company.
- Cards - Hallmark offers 28 cards for Administrative Professionals Day ranging from $.99 to $3.99. InkandMain.com by Hallmark provides a wide selection of cards that can be personalized with pictures, stamped and mailed directly to the office.
- Flowers - Flowers are a perfect way to say thank you while brightening up someone's day!
- Lunch - Take your admins out to lunch or have lunch catered in the office. The Cheesecake Factory, Boston Market, and Subway are great lunch options.
- Candies & Gift Baskets - There aren't too many people that do not enjoy candies and gift baskets. Some of my personal favorites are Edible Arrangements, Shari's Berries, and Harry & David.
- And of course...Gift Cards! - Giving your admins a gift card to their favorite retailer or restaurant is the perfect way to say thank you and we have a variety of brands that everyone loves.